|Title||William E. Abbott home and hotel|
William E. Abbott home and hotel built circa 1901 #19 on Walking tour
South-East corner of Sandhill and Mesquite Blvd.
William Abbott secured 13,000 feet of lumber to build the house as pay for hauling logs to a sawmill. He hired other men to set the foundation and to make and lay the brick. His brother, James, was the carpenter. The family lived in a tent while the home was built.
The two-story house was built circa 1901, with walls three adobe deep and there were two walls with a walkway in between. There were six rooms on each floor. Some of the rooms were used as school classrooms in the early years. A daughter, Emily, attended school in the house. The front fireplace had a trap door that led to a storage area beneath the house.
Bishop Abbott took a few travelers into his home as there were no other accommodations in town, and it became known as the Abbott Hotel. He also built a café on the front of his lot in 1926 that operated for four years and has been torn down.
Today the front door has been moved to the north side of the house, the west door has been covered up, and the trap door has been sealed off. There are four bedrooms and one bath on the second floor.